Sunday, August 21, 2011

Who Do You Depend On?


This week I've been thinking about dependence. As children we depend on our parents. We rely on them to keep us safe and run to them in times of sorrow. Pets depend on their owners to feed them. A wife depends on her husband, and a husband depends on his wife. But what if the person we depend on isn't quit what we need?

I've decided that Saturday is my cleaning day, I'll vacuum, change the sheets and do laundry, etc. I woke up and just started vacuuming since Henry was outside (he doesn't like the vacuum.)

I asked Troy to help, does Troy help?

No.

He decided it was his day off.

After a heated debate he got up and did. The point is I depended on him to help. On a larger scale: When things started to get hard at home mom depended on the Ward to help, take people to the Doctor, bring a dinner here and there.

My old college roommate is getting married,  she depends on her future husband to be everything he can be and to do anything he can to help her, we'll see how long that lasts! Her mom just had a baby not too long ago, she depends on her husband to help her. And the baby depends on them to feed him and change his diaper.

But what happens when the people we depend on fall short? Divorce, neglect, dead pets, people going insane from having so much thrown at them. We should all do our part and think of the other person (especially in a marriage and family.)

This means we need to be careful who we depend on, you can never be too picky. I had my checklist. I think we should all have a checklist. Not one that says "tall, blonde hair, blue eyes" But one that has qualities, characteristics, in a person you can confidently depend on no matter what. Would you trust a child molester with a child. I hope not!

Diane
When you have someone with a disability there will always be a need for dependence.

TO A POINT!

My good friend Diane has ADD. She believes she could never live on her own. She can get her self up to work, do basic cooking, clean, she can manage money (on a small scale), WHY NOT!? When I said this too her she was in total shock. Doesn't mean you have to leave now, but don't think you can't in the future. Hailey will always need someone with her, she has full body tremors and seizures. But that doesn't mean she can't do things independently in the house.


But we can always depend on our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. If everyone else in your life fails, you KNOW you can always turn to him and he will let you know what is the best thing to do. 


So, be careful who you depend on. Make a list and stick to it. If the person you depend on his falling short, have a discussion, make your feelings and thoughts known. Take stronger course of action if needed. So, ask your self the simple question:

Who do I depend on?

1 comment:

  1. Another beautiful post, Julia. Thanks for making me think. I am so glad you are writing this blog!

    ReplyDelete