Tuesday, July 4, 2017

2016-2017 School Year Review

A few friends have started a blog/ written posts, which reminded me I haven’t even started on my list of posts I want to do!

I think Fairfax County is the last county in the whole world to get out of school. June 23rd was the last day for students then June 27th was the last contract day for us. THEN for the first time ever FCPS (Fairfax County Public Schools) will start the 2017-2018 school year before Labor Day. So, we have the world’s shortest summer break… Yay.

I finished my first full year teaching! The whole family survived. I am happy to report I will be going back and doing the same thing. For those of you who missed it, I’m one of the special education teachers in the science department at the local middle school. 
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, outdoor

I have learned a lot this last year, and have seen that I have much to still learn. As someone who doesn’t like hearing “you need to do better at _____” it can be hard to accept. My mid-year evaluation was HARD. I came out read to cry, like any evaluation should be, I came out with a list of things I needed to improve on and one or two things I was good at. How could I have gotten through college and student teaching and still come out with this enormous list!? 

It was a hard reality to face.
But my great co-workers cheered me up, gave me more tips, resources, pep talks and sent me back in the classroom.

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing, sunglasses and outdoor
Some of the Science Department went to the Train and O.A.R concert 
The school year got a little easier as it got ready to whined down. But I immediately started to think about what I would differently next year. Would I use a different incentive system in the classroom? Would I use one at all? What order will I teach things?

And on the other side: What will stay the same?
I’ve been pondering on things that my role model teachers did. How did their classroom run? What about them helped me? What about them inspired me?

It’s been an exhausting and never-ending processes. But in the process, I have acquired some fun things… Like an awesome (and over-priced) Erin Condren lesson planner and dollar store science cut outs.

I’m excited (and slightly) terrified of what year 3 will bring.

Image result for new teacher

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, outdoor


Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing and child

No comments:

Post a Comment