Monday, May 16, 2011

Who should be thanking who?

A friend from church has had her grandson diagnoised with Autsm. As of now, these things tend to change. And it's been an uphill battle for them. Talking about how difficult it is, hard, sad, etc. While it is hard and difficult, I would never use the word 'sad.' Parent's always say "you don't know what it's like to live with a child with a disability." True, I will not argue that. But.. I know what it's like to work with them. I've done several day/ overnight jobs. Don't forget, you can send your child to school, camp, after school activities. Just like another child. It's all relative I guess.
I was once told that Heavenly Father sent these children to the world with disabilities or that they get disabilities as a way to protect them. These people are so amazing, so innocent, that Heavenly Father HAD to protect them. And what better way? Some people believe that they even led Satan and the 2/3rds out of Heaven. I believe these sayings. They are so innocent, while they may know it's bad to hit or bite, they don't know that dropping the F bomb is out of line, let a lone what it means! They are just like children. They get a free pass to Heaven. I want one!
I always feel so blessed to be working with this pobulation. While parnents always say " Thank you for watching so and so" "Thank you for letting us have a break" "Thank you for the inforamtion." Thank you for anything!! Never have I met parents who are so grateful for anything you can give. Something we should all learn. And someone always knows someone, you get to know more people, activities, differnt kinds of therapies, connections is what we all need.
But, I always feel like they give me more.  They are first of all giving me a job. Then hands on experience for what I want to do for a living. And it never stops there, then you start to feel like part of the family eventually. They feed you, give you presents, I've had a parent give me money because they knew I'd been saving to buy an Ipod, so they gave me an extra $50, so I could buy it for a road trip I was going on. They'll take you on family vacations so you can help, but you're really getting a free trip to Disney land, you just have to stay with who ever you're working with. Hard? I think not! They share the information they have on any subject you ask about, it's a free class room! And the learning never ends. I always try to say "no, thank you!" when they say thank you to me. I feel like I'm the one that should be saying thank you instead of "your welcome". Now you do run into a child here and there, and when the parents come to relieve you you are like "THANK YOU" but for the most part, I usually want to stay and play or talk. :)

While yes on paper I am the one providing the services, in the situation, they are providing more for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment