Sunday, October 2, 2011

Raising a Kitten

As I said in a previous post, Troy and I adopted a kitten the day after Henry was put to sleep. What I didn't tell you all was Tabitha wasn't Tabitha! The day after that post we got a call from the vet that we had chosen the brother, Thomas! Troy was sad to return the pink stuff, but happy we were getting a "baby" none the less. Kittens are HYPER, he runs all over the place and jumps on and off the couches, tables, and us. He thinks we always want to play so he bites (playfully) but it still hurts. He also scratches a lot, but he is forgiven for that. On "Grooming Day" as I call it. When ever he gets a bath, nails trimmed, and teeth brushed the thing he hates most is the nails clipping. You'd think I was killing him the way he fights me.

When he gets out of control he gets put in the kitchen to calm down. He knows that when he goes in the kitchen it's like a time out. He cries, runs, etc. But it gets done. Now that he is older we allow him to come in our room. At night he sleeps right in between us. We're always scared we'll roll on him or something, but then we remember how quick he is.

Since we got a kitten we can kind of mold him. Henry was 7-8, he had his ways and he told us to get over it. Thomas we're trying to teach to CHILL. Lay on the couch, let us pet you, etc. But the big thing Troy wants him to learn is to go on a walk. His grandmother has taught her cat to walk on leash and Troy wants Thomas to do the same. It's a slow processes but I think he'll get it.
He does great with the people I work with. Most of my and Troy's clients have met him. He's a little skid-dish but he some how knows it's time to calm down.  They all love him, and I can tell he loves them.

He's also learned about the vet. I take him to the same one as Henry and an old friend also works there. Poor Thomas doesn't mind anything really, that is up until they need to take his temperature. You can't very well ask the animal to hold it under their tongue, like humans, the most accurate reading is a rectal reading. Poor things flops all over and cries. Kittens you take once a month to the vet, he loves the drive, but once we get in the room and he sees the doctor grab the thermometer he is ready to go. I don't blame him, I'd feel the same way.
When he comes up to the computer where Henry's picture is I tell him "that's your brother, Henry" in my mind all of our pets will be brother's and sisters since they are all part of the family, and will be forever. I firmly believe Henry will be in Heaven with us, he will know us and we'll know him. What a joy it is to know that even though someone or even an animal leaves this world, that we will be with them all again. We will all be gathered together as a family.
Henry day before Diagnosis

No comments:

Post a Comment